Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Glow in the Dark Dinos

Hello Everybody!

I have a super fun project to share with y'all today using the dinosaurs from the Unique Lasers Designs store.

I know I do a lot of projects involving things from various thrift stores.  But today I will decorate a picture frame from IKEA!  

Here is the frame as it comes from the store.  It's new and ready to have a picture put in it so it can be hung up on the wall.  But I have other plans!


First I get the Dinosaurs ready.  Here are the 3 dinosaurs that I am using.  They are in various stages.  The top one is in its natural wood state.  The middle one has gesso on it-priming him for painting.  And the bottom dino has been painted blue (with Tim Holtz Distress Paints salty ocean).


Here are the other 2 dinos painted and ready for the next step (using TH mustard seed and spiced marmalade.) 

Here is where the magic comes in--wait for it.  Wait for it---Glow in the Dark Embossing Powder!  So COOL!.  So for each dino I applied Versamark to it and covered it with glow in the dark embossing powder.  I heat set it like normal.  Then I did it all a 2nd time to make sure they were nicely covered.


For the frame I mixed light modeling paste with 2 shades of green Gelatos-Lime Lime and Green Tea.  Then I used a stencil from Dylusions. 


Here's the frame almost finished.  The dinosaurs will go in the areas without squares.  (I do finish that corner.) ;)


Here is the frame in the daylight.  


And here is the frame in the dark!


The shapes come out great!  So fun and easy to do when you have Unique Laser Design pieces to work with.  The details are perfect!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!  Make sure you like us on Facebook.  Check out our Pinterest page too!  There is a LOT of inspiration there.  :)


1 comment: